Thai Immigration Lawyers

Thai Immigration Lawyers

If you want to live and work and in Thailand then speak to us at Thailand Law Firm for more information. With offices in Bangkok, Pattaya, Hua Hin, Samui, Phuket and Chiang Mai we are best able to serve your needs in Thailand. Speak to us about marriage registration, your Thai visa or retirement in Thailand or even leasing property or about buying property. See our full listing for all our offices in Thailand. If you are arriving in Bangkok then visit our Head Office in Bangkok for more information and guidance.

immigration lawyers thailand


Offices located in Thailand


Interchange 21 Building, 23rd Floor,
399 Sukhumvit Road, North Klongtoey,
Wattana, Bangkok 10110
Tel: +66 2-259-8100

123/27-28 Moo 5, Bangtao Place T. Cherngtalay, A. Thalang,
Phuket 83110, Thailand
Tel: +66 84-021-9800

6/56 Moo 6, North Pattaya Road,
Banglamung, Chonburi 20150 Thailand
Tel: +66 84-021-9800

Chiang Mai
Curve Mall 2nd floor Room C219-C220,
215/2 Chang Klan Road, Mueang,
Chiang Mai, 50100, Thailand
Tel: +66 53-818-306

Re-Entry Permits

Re-Entry Permits

Re-Entry PermitsIf you have a work permit in Thailand or you have a 1 year marriage visa or a retirement visa then you cannot leave Thailand without a re-entry permit. This is a permit that is placed in your passport to ensure that when you leave Thailand you do no invalidate you visa status. With the re-entry permit in your passport you can enter Thailand and continue on the ‘old’ visa you had before you left.

The single entry re-entry permit costs 1,000 Baht but if you are going to leave Thailand more than once in the space of a year then you are best served with a multiple entry re-entry permit which costs 3,800 Baht. Consider the options and you will note that it is better to obtain the re-entry permit. This can be issued at the border or at the airport but it is always best to have it done in Bangkok as it takes about 3 hours to have it done and you don’t want to miss your flight.

Any questions?

Retirement in Thailand

Retirement in Thailand

Retirement in ThailandIf you are going to retire in Thailand then consider for a minute what would be needed for your visa. Firstly you need to meet 2 set of requirements. The first is an age requirement and the next are the financial requirements to retire. The first requirements tro obtain the Retirement Visa is the easiest. You need to firstly apply at a Thai embassy for the OA visa and this visa is valid for 3 months once you enter Thailand. This is what would be needed:

Requirements for Retirement in Thailand

  • – You must be 50 years or older when you apply for the 1 year extension in Thailand;
  • – You must have a medical certificate to show you don’t have a transmittable disease;
  • – You must prove that you don’t have a criminal record.
  • – You must show that you have 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank account; (or)
  • – You have an income of 60,000 Baht per month

Those are the basics for the retirement visa in Thailand. Over the years we have noted that many who do retire in thailand are not new to Thailand and they tend to buy property in Thailand and get married again in their twilight years. Many do not apply for a retirement visa in the end and simply apply for a marriage visa as it is easier and the requirements are much lower.

90 Day Reporting

Once you retire you also need to remember that you need to contact Thai immigration every 90 days and they will place a slip into your passport to show that you have reported you 90 days to Thai immigration. When you report you need to give them your latest address in Thailand where they may find you. This is called the 90 day reporting in Thailand. You can also mail them the reporting status but it is always best to go in person so that there are no mistakes.

Re-Entry Permits in Thailand

When you have a 1 year visa you cannot simply leave Thailand you need to have a re-entry permit in your passport. If you leave Thailand without a re-entry permit your visa becomes null and void and the process has to start again. Always ensure that before you leave that you have applied for a re-entry permit. This can be single or multiple entry. It normally takes 2-3 hours to have this done at Thai immigration. This is valid both for the retirement visa and the 1 year marriage visa.

If you are looking at retirement in Thailand then speak to us online to settle your questions and allow us to complete the process for you from beginning to end. The first start is applying for the OA Visa at a Thai embassy, then extending this visa in Thailand and once that is done you have 6 months to bring your household goods in from your home country without an import duties.


Start the process now!


Thai Marriage Visa

Thai Marriage Visa

Thai Marriage VisaIf you are married to a Thai or have a Thai child then you can apply for the 3 month Thai “O” Visa at a Thai embassy. The Thai marriage visa is valid for 90 days when you enter Thailand and can be extended in Thailand for 1 year if you meet the financial requirements of the visa. This is what would be needed when you apply for the Thai visa at the embassy:

Documents at Thai Embassy:

  • – Your passport;
  • – Copy of your Thai wife’s Tabian Baan;
  • – Copy marriage certificate;
  • – Copy of birth certificates of children if any
  • – Copy of Thai wife’s ID card

These are the documents that would be needed when you apply at the Thai embassy for your marriage visa. This would get you your Thai marriage visa. Note that in Asia they don’t like to issue more than 2 of these visas back to back and will encourage you to extend the visa in Thailand to a 1 year visa. When back in Thailand you will have 3 months to extend this visa and these are the documents needed for the 1 year visa. Don’t overstay your visa in Thailand.

Documents at Thai Immigration:

  • – Copy of your passport + original;
  • – Copy of your Thai wife’s ID card;
  • – Copy of your marriage certificate;
  • – Copy of children (if any) birth certificate(s);
  • – Photos of your family together;
  • – Map drawn to show your house or apartment in Thailand;
  • – Copy of updated bank book showing 400,000 Baht in it; (or)
  • – Copy of income slip if no deposit showing 40,000 Baht per month in income.

These documents would be needed when you extend the marriage visa in Thailand. The process takes about 2-3 weeks and you need to do this every year to keep the visa current. Once you have this visa you must not forget that every 90 days you have to report to Thai immigration to state that you still live at the same address as was on your visa.  also note that if you wish to leave Thailand and return you need to have a re-entry permit so that your visa is not invalidated when you leave Thailand and return. If you have any questions ask us online or walk into any of our offices in Thailand for more assistance.

Call us today!